Our history began in 1937 with a in Maud, Ohio; known as Maud Interdenominational Church (MIC). After faithful years of service, MIC became the Pilgrim Holiness Church in 1942 and later in 1967, when the Pilgrim Holiness Church merged with the Wesleyan Church, the church became known as Maud Wesleyan Church. As the city of West Chester continued to expand, Maud Wesleyan began to consider changing its name to that of West Chester Wesleyan Church in order to identify with the growing suburb of Cincinnati. Shortly thereafter, the name West Chester Wesleyan Church was adopted as the church’s new name. Since 1937, West Chester Wesleyan Church (regardless of its name) faithfully preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ and displayed the love of God through service and various ministries. The ministries of the church continued to impact lives.
As the people gave their lives to Christ and the church continued to grow, West Chester Wesleyan was forced to expand its buildings, leadership and programs to continue to be relevant in the culture and community. Today we face the same challenges. As the city of West Chester continues to expand its vast borders and the population of the area continues to skyrocket, West Chester Wesleyan Church has rededicated itself to engaging the current culture for Christ. In June of 2013, the church voted to adopt for itself a new name in order to better engage the current de-churched culture of West Chester. The new name is Turningpoint Church. Turningpoint church is a Wesleyan church dedicated to preaching the Gospel and making disciples of Christ. The church has recently taken upon itself to do whatever is necessary short of sin to see people connect and grow in a relationship with God. As a church we believe it is our glorious opportunity to love God and love others the way Christ does the church.
We can look back with praise and thanksgiving to God at the rich history of Turningpoint Church. The Lord has certainly established this church for His glory. The best days for the church are ahead. We look forward with excitement and anticipation as we continue to trust God to write His story in our hearts, in the church, in the community, and in the world for His glory. May the story of our lives be worship in His eyes!
According to the written history of West Chester (page 112): “The first church in Maud was built in 1937 by subscription, the money having been given by several families and members in the community. It was called the Maud Interdenominational Church, and the Rev. Mr. Donnelly was the first pastor. It is the small white cement block building located on the corner of Third (sic) Street (editor’s note: actually, Fourth Street) and Tylersville Road.
“It did not long remain an interdenominational church as in 1942 the Pilgrim Holiness Church bought the building and held services there for twenty years. Then the members of the Pilgrim Holiness Church bought the home of George Chance (the old school built in 1882) and made it into their parsonage. The next year (1963) they built the new church just to the east of the parsonage. In 1967 the Pilgrim Holiness Church merged with the Wesleyan, and the church became known as the Maud Wesleyan…”
In the late 1930’s, some people from the Maud community became concerned about the fact that there was no Sunday School in this area. As a result of this concern, a vision for our church was born. Construction of a church building at the corner of Fourth Street and Tylersville Road was soon begun. After the church was sold in the early 1960’s it was renovated, and currently serves the congregation of the Old Regular Baptist Church.
On January 16, 1938, an organizational meeting was held in the home of Mrs. Tillie Woods. The first meeting was held in the new church on February 13, 1938. Rev. Alfred Taylor, from God’s Bible College, Cincinnati, Ohio, was the first pastor.
On March 29, 1946, the church became part of the Pilgrim Holiness denomination, with 14 charter members. Those original members of the Maud Pilgrim Holiness Church were: Freddie Kimberlin, Mrs. Freddie Kimberlin, Eugene Ferrell, Mrs. Ben Ferrell, Mrs. George Chance, Mrs. Earl Browning, Mrs. Willis DeBord, Miss Maxine DeBord, Marie DeBord, Glenn Colliver, Carl Hanna, Mrs. Carl Hanna, Lewis Miller, and Mrs. Zelma Durham. Rev. Roy Lair was the pastor.
Zelma Durham continues to be a very active member in the church, now for more than 60 years. We deeply appreciate the long-term commitment that Zelma has made to the Lord, her church and her community.
On August 17, 1958, a beautiful brick parsonage, located at 7172 Tylersville Road, was dedicated. In the early 1960’s the church and parsonage were sold, and our present property at 7009-7019 Tylersville Road was purchased. Included on the property was a large brick home which would serve as the parsonage. It had originally been the one-room schoolhouse for the Maud area. Built in 1882, it housed grades 1-12 for over thirty years, until 1916, when the new centralized, Union School was built on Cincinnati-Dayton Road. Rev. Clyde Waites served the church during this time of transition.
During Rev. Waites second stint as our pastor, in the Spring of 1963, ground was broken for the new sanctuary. Services were held in the new building later that year. With a sanctuary capacity exceeding 150 people, and extra space for classrooms, it represented quite an improvement over the original small, concrete block building.
In 1968, the Pilgrim Holiness denomination merged with the Wesleyan Methodist denomination, and The Wesleyan Church was formed. In that same year, Rev. Wallace Marshall, a former missionary, accepted the pastorate and he continued for 26 years! Though no longer serving as Senior Pastor, Rev. Marshall remains very active as the visitation pastor. The Marshall’s ministry in the West Chester community has been an incredible blessing. Words cannot begin to fully express our gratitude for Pastor Wallace and Ann Marshall and what they and their family have contributed to the church and the community.
In the early 1980’s, plans were approved to expand the church building by adding a two-level addition which included a larger foyer, nursery, church office, fellowship hall and kitchen facilities. This addition has been a wonderful blessing and has provided much needed space for classrooms and fellowship gatherings.
In the last few years, there has been a growing need for further expansion of the facilities. On September 28, 2003, ground was broken for an 8,500 square foot addition that will provide 4 new classrooms, bathroom facilities on both levels, a large kitchen, a handicap lift and a 65′ x 75′ Family Life Center. Two homes on the property were demolished and the parking lot has been expanded and resurfaced. It took us more than a year, but on October 3, 2004, the congregation dedicated the new facility.
We can look back with praise and thanksgiving to God at the rich history of the West Chester Wesleyan Church. The Lord has certainly established this church for His glory. The best days for the church are ahead, God being our Helper! We look forward with excitement and anticipation as we continue to trust God to write His story in our hearts, in the church, in the community, and in the world for His glory. May the story of our lives be worship in His eyes!